State of Innovation

Patents and Innovation Economics

Health Care: The End of Freedom

The passage of the health care bill is the end of the American experiment with freedom.  This experiment with freedom created the greatest country in the world that propelled the world out of the Malthusian trap into unprecedented wealth.  This wealth and more importantly freedom was more widely distributed and benefited more people than any other time in the history of the world.  You no longer have the right to “pursuit of happiness.”  Here are some of the consequences of the health care bill:

1) Bankruptcy:  The US will become insolvent in the next decade.  By insolvent I mean either the US will renege on the terms of some of its debt or we will have double digit inflation.

2) Constitution: The Constitution is now a meaningless piece of paper.  Any pretence that the government is limited has died.  The government can enact any legislation requiring anyone to take actions that government deems in its interest.  The government does not work for you, you work for the government; your only purpose is to serve the government.

3) Medical Innovation is Dead: This law ensures that we will have essentially no innovation in medicine.  The US is the only major country that invests in pharmaceutical research.  Most countries have been free riding on US medical research for years.

Here is a timely speech by Ronald Reagan on point

Advertisements

March 23, 2010 - Posted by | Uncategorized | , , ,

10 Comments »

1. Yes, it truly is a sad event. I am a little in disbelief that we have gotten to this point and that it actually passed. There truly are a lot of idiots in Congress.

We do not feel the difference today but give it a little time and everyone will see how destructive this was. It’s painful when the only satisfaction one can get out of something like this is to say I told you so. But it will be easy to do that in the not too distant future. I know that I as a doctor am very likely to retire when the bureaucry of the system sets in. And I know that I am not alone in this respect. I wonder how Obama thinks that doctor shortages that are going to result from this legislation are going to help anyone.

Comment by khalling | March 23, 2010 | Reply

2. Dale, after reading your book, I can see it’s bad. But it just keeps getting worse, and this is a huge one. I can’t add anything to your 3 points above.

Comment by gharrington | March 23, 2010 | Reply

• Hi Gary,

I could actually add a number of points, including that there is no special interest group for freedom. There is no money in lobbying for the government to do less.

Thanks for reading my book

Comment by dbhalling | March 24, 2010 | Reply

3. It is incomprehensible how so many liberal democrats have caved in to bribes — well, maybe not so incomprehensible. You are surely correct about US Bankruptcy, but I am thinking that the bankruptcy of many states will happen first. Can one still hope that enough state legislatures will join forces to take back States’ Rights?

Comment by Dan Van Dyke | March 24, 2010 | Reply

• Hi Dan,

You make a very good point. The states are much closer to bankruptcy because of medicaid and the fact that they cannot print money. This bill only makes it worse.

Comment by dbhalling | March 24, 2010 | Reply

4. Great point about there not being any money in lobbying for freedom. You know, one thing we always talk about is how great our Constitution is. And it is great—and the best in the world. But it seems that there are holes in it that allow legislative bills like this to pass. Additonally, it seems that the General Welfare clause is broadly interpreted to support anything that might be viewed as contributing to the “Greater Good” whether it tramples on personal liberty. Shouldn’t a solid Constitution be more specific about protections on private property/personal income, limited taxation, etc.?

Comment by khalling | March 24, 2010 | Reply

5. The “General Welfare” clause, according to what I understand, was meant to be a limitation on the types of legislation that Congress could pass. Meaning that only laws the benefited the general welfare as opposed to a narrow interest of a person or company were allowable.

Comment by dbhalling | March 24, 2010 | Reply

6. Dale,
    I am sure you know this already but just as a reminder here is how it reads.

“We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

Promoting the general welfare can be interpreted very broadly. And that is why I think that wording should be removed from the Consittution.

Comment by Kevin Halling | March 24, 2010 | Reply

7. “to promote the general welfare…” is part of the Preamble to the Constitution. and, Progressives think we should get rid of anyway.
    As a physician, I can guarantee you, people will abuse the system because it is free. For example, my eighteen-year-old patient showed up in the ER at 4 AM (not exactly an emergency situation)with a CHIEF complaint,and I quote, “my butthole itches..” not exactly an emergency situation. These types of complaints will burden our ERs and clinics; thus causing nurses, doctors, and other medical professionals to leave the profession. This will cause even less qualified professionals providing healthcare to the American public. This may seem anticdotal, however, this is VERY common in the ER daily. Shortly, everywhere in the US will be deluged with frivolous complaints. Good luck, America.

Comment by jhalling | March 24, 2010 | Reply

8. Julie
    I am convinced you are right and you ought to know since you have been at the front lines for a long time. Unfortunately, it seems that people need to beaten over the head with the reality of this before they will get it but by that time it will be too late to undo.

Comment by khalling | March 24, 2010 | Reply