The Pseudo Scientific Basis of Environmentalism
The underlying “scientific” basis for all environmentalism is the second law of thermodynamics or entropy. Environmentalist believe that entropy scientifically proves that we have peak oil problem, an over-population problem, a pollution problem, global warming and the myriad of other things environmentalist believe need to be fixed. It provides the moral basis for their argument that government must force people to quit using their cars, pro-creating, using ‘fossil fuels’, hydraulic fracturing, pesticides, irrigating, etc. According to environmentalists it also proves that technology can never solve these problems and the only solution is for humans to abandon technology and live in a “state of nature.” Entropy provides them the moral and scientific high ground in any debate and justifies any government intrusion into the private lives of people, including killing them.
Things fall apart because it’s the Law: the Second Law of Thermodynamics also referred to as the Law of Entropy. Everything disintegrate, degenerate, shatter, fracture, split, tear, break up, break down, break, rust, die, decay, wear out, rip, or move from a state of order to disorder; not unless new energy is infused for regular maintenance and rebuilding of its structure.
The paper further explains, “Left unchecked, entropy will eliminate all life forms by randomizing vital life-sustaining molecules.” Jermy Rifkin, a leading environmentalist, has written a whole book about entropy, which argues that we need to use fewer resources to forestall the inevitable collapse of civilization. The most extreme version of this idea is called the Heat Death of the Universe, which states that the Universe will end up with a uniform temperature and uniform distribution of matter. Human’s are accelerating this process, according to the environmentalists and the more humans there are and the more energy they use the faster this is accelerated. Their answer is fewer humans and less technology. I wondered how they would tie entropy to anthropomorphic global warming (AGW) their favorite crisis right now. One paper entitled Entropy and Global Warming I, explains the connection this way.
Population Growth and intense per capita energy consumption may be seen to be at the root of virtually all of the world’s environmental problems. Global Warming, Depletion of Ozone Layer, Air Pollution, Ground Water Depletion, Chemical Risks, Pesticide Residue in Crops and in Fish.
It appears that the tie between entropy and AGW is over-population.
When I point out that environmentalists are anti-human most people think either I am wrong or that I am exaggerating. But consider the following examples.
- A leading environmentalist, Dr. Eric R. Pianka advocated the elimination of 90 percent of Earth’s population by airborne Ebola in front of few hundred members of the Texas Academy of Science who rose to their feet, and gave him a standing ovation. Dr. Pianka attempted to deny this, but the evidence was overwhelming including his student evaluations.
- The DDT ban resulted in the death of over 100 million people. Alexander King, founder of the Malthusian Club of Rome, wrote in a biographical essay in 1990: “My own doubts came when DDT was introduced. In Guyana, within two years, it had almost eliminated malaria. So my chief quarrel with DDT, in hindsight, is that it has greatly added to the population problem.” http://jiminmontana.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/environmentalism-the-green-religion-of-dehumanization/.
- Dr. Charles Wurster, one of the major opponents of DDT, is reported to have said, “People are the cause of all the problems. We have too many of them. We need to get rid of some of them, and this (referring to malaria deaths) is as good a way as any.” http://jiminmontana.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/environmentalism-the-green-religion-of-dehumanization/.
- “A total population of 250-300 million people, a 95% decline from present levels, would be ideal,” Turner stated in 1996.
Environmentalist killed over 100 million people in the 20th Century – but they won’t be satisfied until they have killed at least another 5 billion people.
ENVIRONMENTALISTS ARE EVIL
Marxists seem to be the main people who are pointing out that Environmentalists do not understand entropy. For instance, the paper The Limits to Entropy: the Continuing Misuse of Thermodynamics in Environmental and Marxist theory points out some of these errors. This paper ends with the terrifying thought “The appropriation of misleading entropy concepts by Marxists is particularly unhelpful, since Marxist theory should be a guide for red-green political practice.” Another paper that disagrees with this entropy apocalypse is by the renown economist Julian L. Simon, entitled ENTROPY AND ENERGY ACCOUNTING: ARE THEY RELEVANT CONCEPTS?
Entropy in science is the energy in a system that cannot be used to do work and the second law of thermodynamics states that in an ISOLATED SYSTEM entropy always increases or stays the same. Entropy says nothing about order. In fact, crystalline structures have high entropy but are very ordered. A common example to explain this is provided by the article Entropy is Not Disorder, by Nathaniel Virgo.
Imagine filling a glass jar with water and cooking oil. Give it a good shake: the oil is now interspersed with the water. It’s an opaque, homogeneous mess. Very disordered. But now, leave the jar on the table for a few minutes. In the parlance of thermodynamics, this is a closed system (more or less — we can safely ignore the various ways in which it isn’t), so its entropy must increase over time. But as we watch, the oil separates from the water, forming a nice, orderly layer on top of it. The system, to the eye at least, appears to have become less disordered even as its entropy increased.
As a result, all the statements about entropy leading to disorder by environmentalist are just so much nonsense. In addition, the Earth is not an isolated system. An isolated system is one in which there is no energy or matter exchange occurs. Earth receives enormous amounts of energy from the Sun and exchanges it with the surrounding space. It also exchanges matter with space. Since gravity affects almost any system, almost no system can be consider isolated. The Universe might be an isolated system, but new theories about multiple universes, multiple dimensions, and that the Universe is likely infinite cast serious doubt on this. What this means is that Environmentalists supposed moral and scientific high ground is without any basis in fact. How anyone who advocate mass murder can be considered to have the moral high ground escapes me.
It is not surprising that environmentalist make these mistakes as most of them do not have a solid background in physics or chemistry. For instance, Jermy Rifkin, has a BA in economics and a MA in International Affairs.
Environmentalist Do Not Understand Entropy
Their Conclusions are Nonsense
They are Advocating and Implementing MASS MURDER Based on this Misinterpretation of Entropy
 Maharaj. Dr. Indar, ENTROPY:THE IMPACT OF A LOW-ENTROPY LIFE ON THE ENVIRONMENT
Live Simply that Others may Simply Live, https://sites.google.com/a/greenthinktank.org/greentt/mainmission/entropy
 Entropy and Global Warming I, by Dr. Mofiz Uddin Ahmed, http://www.newstoday.com.bd/index.php?option=details&news_id=2333010&date=2013-01-01
 Meeting Doctor Doom, By Forrest M. Mims, III, The Eco-Logic Powerhouse http://www.freedom.org/board/articles/mims-506.html.
 Ted Turner Repeats Call For Population Curb, by Paul Joseph Watson Prison Planet Monday, April 28, 2008 http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/april2008/042808_ted_turner.htm
 The Limits to Entropy: the Continuing Misuse of Thermodynamics in Environmental and Marxist theory (PDF version))2008, Science & Society v. 72, No.1, 43-62. By David Schwartzman, http://www.redandgreen.org/Documents/Limits%20to%20entropy%20final.htm
4 Comments »
- Source of Economic Growth Reviews
- Carl Menger: Principles of Economics
- Pendulum of Justice (1st Hank Rangar Thriller) on Sale 99¢
- Economics and Evolution: How We Think and Grow Rich
- Intellectual Capitalism: Philosophy
- Can Patents be a True Property Right When They Expire?
- The Flawed Private Property Argument Against Immigration
- Response to The Economist on Patents
- Capital in Disequilibrium: The Austrians’ Answer to New Growth Theory
- Praxeology: An Intellectual Train Wreck
- Source of Economic Growth: The talk and the Book
- Gene Quinn Destroys ‘The Economist’ on Patents
- Business Models
- Featured Videos
- Intellectual Capitalism
- Press Release
- Regulatory bill of Rights
- sarbanes oxley
- Sarbanes Oxley